Public Liability Insurance for Plumbers and Pipefitters

Public liability insurance quotes for plumbers and pipefitters. Suitable cover for self-employed plumbers, pipefitters and your plumbing tools and equipment with help from our liability brokers.*

Get Quote

NO Long Waits on Hold

Fast - No Stress

Liability Broker


Do plumbers need public liability insurance?*

In Australia , all self-employed plumbers and pipefitters need public liability insurance.

As a pipefitter you need public liability insurance as it can protect you and your business against the financial risk of being liable for negligence.

If an accident happens as a result of your plumbing business activity you can be held responsible. Public liability insurance is needed to help cover damages and legal fees.

For example, if as result of your plumbing activities your clients property is damaged public liability insurance can help pay for the repairs.

In Victoria public liability insurance is mandatory for all plumbers.

Throughout Australia you may need public liability insurance to work on certain building sites or specific clients who request it.

What is public liability insurance for self-employed plumbers?*

Public liability insurance for the self-employed plumbers protects you from third-party claims of bodily injury or damage to someone else’s property. For example, if you are doing a plumbing job at a client’s home and their child hurts themselves by falling into a ditch you have dug or by tripping over your tools and equipment, Public Liability may help pay the related medical bills and your legal expenses.

What does public liability insurance for plumber covers?*

Public liability insurance in Australia typically provides self-employed plumbers with cover for:

  • Third-party injury to other persons – where your plumbing business activities causes harm to others
  • Third-party damage to others property – where your plumbing business activities causes damages to others property ; for example ; a burst pipe that you are blamed for
  • Product liability – where your plumbing business products and goods supplied causes harm to others; for example; hot and cold taps installed incorrectly , client burns themselves after mistakenly running bath with hot water instead of cold

Difference between public liability and professional indemnity insurance for plumbers?*

The difference between public liability and professional indemnity insurance for plumbers is that:

Public liability insurance cover is to protect plumbers against claims made by clients and other parties for injury, or damage to property
while Professional indemnity covers plumbers for claims made by clients for professional errors or negligence.

In practice for plumbers in Australia that means they typically need public liability to cover issues that arise from their physical plumbing activities on site while professional indemnity insurance can protect you plumbers against legal costs and damages when one of your clients makes a claim for damages against you for the design stage of the project.

Generally speaking if plumbers provide advice or design for a fee they need professional indemnity insurance.

How much is public liability insurance for a plumber?*

Public liability insurance cost for plumbers snapshot:

Self-employed plumbers, starts from around $950* or $90 per month.

$5 million Public Liability Insurance cost for some plumbers with no previous claims starts from around $950* or $90 per month.

For plumbers that:

  • Work on Commercial Building Sites
  • Have Employees
  • Work for councils or government departments and require $20 million liability costs will be higher.

*Important : the above is a guide only ; pricing may vary significantly from the above based on your size, clients, experience and plumbing business activities.

We serve plumbing businesses and plumbing sub- contractors all over Australia*

List of states and territories in Australia we can help plumbers and pipefitters find the insurance cover they need :

  • New South Wales (NSW)
  • Queensland (QLD)
  • Victoria (VIC)
  • Western Australia (WA)
  • South Australia (SA)
  • Tasmania (TAS)
  • ACT and NT

Our Partners*

We've Got Your Back*

Get a quote and purchase insurance coverage fast

We are business insurance brokers
What does this mean to you ?
What that means is that we are YOUR representative, and our first responsibility is to YOU, unlike an insurance agent who represents the insurance company.

And in the event of a claim, we fight for YOU, which may mean a faster and more successful claim.

Important : We have no power to authorise claims. However, our experience and assistance can help you when you have a claim.